Illuminating York is organised by a steering committee which comprises of representatives from Visit York, City of York Council, York Museums Trust, Science City York, University of York and local York businesses. York’s ambition is to showcase the city in exciting and innovative ways, attracting visitors from across the globe. Illuminating York also enables the city to showcase the best of regional, national and international artistic talent through a programme of curartorial, commissioned and invited work including installations, projection, film, animation and new technologies.
The aims and objectives of Illuminating York
- To promote York as a creative city, boosting the prospects for and employment in York’s creative industries.
- To attract more overnight visitors to York, boosting employment in tourism and hospitality.
- To showcase / assist in the promotion of York as an overnight destination rich in contemporary culture.
- Support the development of the evening economy in the city.
- To enhance both residents’ and visitors’ experience of York city centre in the evening.
- To showcase York’s heritage.
- To improve the after-dark safety and perception of safety in city-centre spaces by attracting a greater number and diversity of pedestrians after dark.
As well as being a showcase for York as a contemporary, creative city, Illuminating York is also an ongoing project, which aims to use light and innovation to breathe new life into York’s historic built urban environment after dark, championing the development and progression of permanent lighting projects.